Crepes are a fun and easy way to add elegance to your party.
It may seem like these thin, fancy-looking French pancakes would be tricky to make, but they're made of simple ingredients like eggs, flour, and salt.
And, although it takes a little practice when you're first learning to flip them over in the pan, it's lots of fun once you get the hang of it!
The great thing about crepes is that they are almost endlessly adaptable. Once you have your tall stack of fresh buckwheat or dessert crepes ready to go, you can stuff them with practically anything you like, hot or cold, sweet or savoury.
They're great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner (or even just as a snack with a little powdered sugar – yum!) and they make a big impact with comparatively little effort.
Crepes are among our most popular menu options here at Devour Gourmet Catering, so I've asked some of our chefs to share their favourite crepe fillings for our blog.
So here is a list of 5 great crepe filling ideas to get you started!
- Eggs Benedict buckwheat crepes with eggs, diced ham, cheese, and Hollandaise sauce would be great for a breakfast or brunch gathering.
- For a sweet and simple crepe, fill your dessert crepe with your favourite fruit preserves, like blackberry, strawberry or apricot, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Sautée mushrooms with garlic, a little cream, and spinach. Sprinkle liberally with parmesan and serve in a buckwheat crepe. Great for a light dinner!
- Nutella and sliced bananas makes for a delicious crepe filling that your kids will love! Drizzle with chocolate or caramel sauce.
- If you want something a little fancier, try prosciutto, fig, and gorgonzola crepes. Fill your buckwheat crepes with fig preserves, prosciutto, and gorgonzola. Place them on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees until the cheese begins to melt. Devour.